Film Summer School in Manchester
Now booking: 16 - 20 August 2021
This summer take time out and learn the basics of film in a week – from industry pros.
Whether you’re just starting out in the industry, a photographer moving into video, a would-be YouTuber or just have a personal passion for film and want to learn more, this course is for you! You’ll learn loads in 5 action-packed days in our Summer School, taking place in Greater Manchester this summer.
The course is designed for those starting off in film as well as those with a little more knowledge. Class size is only around 10, giving plenty of opportunities for individual coaching.
Our summer school is run by Ian Sandall a Fellow of the Institute of Videography, a UK-accredited organisation that exists to promote professionalism in videography.
Scroll down to find out more.
How it all started
I’m Ian Sandall, a Fellow of the Institute of Videography and I’ve spent a lifetime in film and TV: directing, producing and writing. More recently I’ve also been running film courses and working in education.
A few years ago, I was asked to run a film summer school by SSR in Manchester (now Spirit Studios) and it proved to be very popular. In fact, for several years it was their most subscribed-to summer course!
Spirit Studios now offer audio and music-based courses only, so we’re running our Film Summer School at 360Foto Studios in Aston under Lyne. Ideally connected for public transport as well as the motorways, it’s easy to get to without the traffic and parking hassle of being in central Manchester.
What will I learn?
Over 5 days you’ll learn a lot and as classes only number around ten, there will be plenty of time for 1:1 tuition.
Basically, you can walk in on a Monday knowing very little about video and walk out on Friday afternoon with a copy of a film that you’ve helped to create! In five action-packed days we cover:
- How video cameras work including DSLR and mirrorless
- Shot framing and composition
- Audio – microphones and recording
- Film lighting including greenscreen techniques
- How to create the story arc and tell a convincing tale on film
- Scripting techniques for different genres
- Filming tricks and techniques for professional shooting
- Safety on set and crew responsibilities – who does what
- Editing: basics and advanced techniques
Follow the link for more course information.
Five full days of film
Who can attend?
- Anyone with an interest in film or the arts will benefit.
- Over the years we’ve had people from ad agencies, design companies, PR companies, SEO companies, and many more media-related fields.
- We’ve also had many students, writers, actors, third sector workers, as well as retired people.
- You should have good spoken and written English and be computer-literate.
- The only other essential: a real passion for film and TV!
- You must be 18+ except by special arrangement.
Where and When?
Now booking for 16-20 August 2021
Times: Monday to Friday, 1000 – 1645
Do I need my own kit?
Pro camera kit, tripods, lights, backgrounds and a couple of video editing computers will be supplied. If you have your own equipment you are welcome to bring whatever you feel comfortable using. Monday is mainly a theory day so discuss kit with your lecturer, and then if you want to, bring in your own for the rest of the week. If you have a laptop to edit on you may want to bring that.
What will I achieve?
Every attendee gets a workbook, a USB drive to keep their files on and a certificate on completion.
This course will run normally. It will be organised under current social distancing and safety guidelines for TV and film production. All participants will be required to sign a standard COVID-19 waiver, an example of which can be found here. We also recommend self-testing regularly and please be aware your temperature may be taken on entry to the studio. Social distancing will be applied and extra precautions will be taken, as you'd expect. If you're unsure about how we'll run the course safely, please get in contact.
Cost per person: £349.00 + VAT.
Earlybird pricing: £299.00 + VAT if you book before 31 May.
VAT receipt supplied.
Questions? Speak to Ian! Email or call 0161 850 6080
Click here to be taken to the Eventbrite page for this event. Your money is held by Eventbrite until after the event has taken place.
Subject to Eventbrite's terms of business and cancellation policy.